Sod Installation & Maintenance Guide
Follow The Guide Below For A Beautiful New Sodded Yard
Prepare The Soil
- Rototill or spade the soil to a depth of 3 to 4 inches.
- Remove sticks, stones, roots and other debris.
- Smooth the soil by raking.
- With a broadcast spreader, spread one 40 lb. bag of pelletized lime per 1000 square feet, and also spread a good Starter Fertilizer according to the directions on the label.
- Firm the soil by lightly rolling. Fill in any low spots.
- Start at a straight line such as a driveway or walkway.
- Make sure all joints are butted tightly together, without overlapping or spaces between strips of sod.
- Stagger the joints in each row like rows of bricks.
- Use a large sharp knife or spade for shaping sod around trees, at flower beds or along borders.
- Completely soak the sod with at least 1” of water. Start watering 20 minutes after the first strip is laid.
- Roll the sod to smooth out small bumps and air pockets. This will assure good contact with the soil.
- Irrigate frequently at least 2X or 3X/day for 3 weeks- Water as often as necessary to keep top inch of soil moist but not soaking. Pay close attention that soil does not dry out due to an afternoon’s sun and heat.
- To help gauge watering, place an empty can about 6 inches away from the sprinkler. When there is an inch of water in the can, move the sprinkler to the next area.
- Reflected heat along buildings will dry your sod quickly. Be sure to water such areas more often.
- Your new lawn should need mowing 6 to 7 days after installation.
- Mow often enough so that you are never cutting off more than 1/3 of the height in a single mowing. Cutting more than a third off at a time will cause browning.
- Mow when grass height reaches 2.5 - 3 inches.
- Set your mower at a cutting height of 1.5 - 2 inches.
- Your new lawn should be fertilized about 4-5 weeks after installation with another round of Starter Fertilizer.
- Regular fertilizing should start about 8-10 weeks after installation.
- Do not apply any herbicides to a newly sodded lawn for 3 months.
Lay The Sod
If you want to order sod for your project then see our Sod Ordering Information Page Here.
If you have any questions that are not answered here, then contact us via our Contact Us Page